It's finally apple season! Before we know it, it might actually be cooler than 90 degrees out, the leaves will start turning, and pumpkin spice will be around every. single. corner. Let's celebrate with a few apple recipes! For starters, have you ever tried pickled apples before?
One: Pickle them!
A perfect addition to salads and bowls
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp pickling spice blend
2 Tbsp sugar
½ cup water
¼ tsp salt
Slice apple into thin 1/8” slices
In a saute pan, bring cider vinegar, pickling spice, sugar, water & salt to a boil
Add apples and return to a boil, then pour mixture into a heatproof bowl to cool
Two: Put them on a pizza
Fontina-Brisket Pizza with balsamic apples, caramelized onion & wilted arugula is our favorite pizza featuring apples!
6 oz pulled smoked brisket, roughly chopped
1 prepared pizza crust with white sauce
½ cup sliced onion
1 apple, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp brown sugar
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
2 oz shredded fontina
¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
½ tsp red pepper flakes
4 cups arugula, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper
1. PREHEAT OVEN & COOK APPLES & ONIONS
- Preheat oven to 450°F and place a sheet pan in oven to heat up while preparing recipe
- In a pan, melt butter over med
- Add onions and sauté 5 min
- Add apple, brown sugar & balsamic to onions and cook 6—8 min
2. ASSEMBLE PIZZA & WILT ARUGULA
- Top pizza crust with caramelized onion & apple mixture, brisket, both cheeses & red pepper flakes
- Place pizza on hot sheet pan and bake for 5—8 min
- Add olive oil, salt & pepper to taste, and arugula to pan used for apples & onions, then remove from heat and gently toss to wilt
3. PLATE & ENJOY!
- Slice pizza into 4—6 slices and top with wilted arugula
Three: Add to a grilled cheese
This one’s easy! Just add thinly sliced apple in the middle of your grilled cheese. We suggest waypoint or gouda cheese, or even better, a mix of the two.
Pro tip: add a little mayonnaise! It adds flavor and creaminess if you put it on the inside of the sandwich, and helps the bread get browned and crispy if you put it on the outside.