The Kentucky Derby is tomorrow, and we've teamed up with ASW Distillery to bring you this easy-to-make craft cocktail recipe that'll be perfect for the event!
Make a syrup with honey & homemade ginger extract, then steep Earl Grey tea with thyme sprigs. Pick out your favorite pitcher, then stir together ASW Distillery's Fiddler bourbon, fresh lemon juice, tea & honey-ginger syrup. Pour into rocks glasses and garnish with fragrant rosemary sprigs.
This cocktail can easily be batched for entertaining a crowd. Simply multiply the recipe as needed and store in the fridge without ice.
15 min active; 30 min total; makes 4 cocktails
- 1/3 cup minced ginger
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 3 earl grey tea bags
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 3 lemons
- ASW Distillery’s Fiddler Bourbonsmall pot
- food processor
- fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth
- small pitcher
1. STEEP TEA
- In a pot, bring 1 cup water to a boil for the tea
- In a food processor, combine ginger with 1/3 cup cool water, then strain with a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth, pressing through strainer to get most of the water out of the ginger
- Discard ginger and reserve ginger water
- Break thyme sprigs into a few large pieces
- Place earl grey tea bags in a mug with thyme sprigs and pour boiling water in and let steep for 5 min (or according to package instructions)
2. MAKE HONEY-GINGER SYRUP
- In the same pot used to boil water, combine honey with ginger water over med heat and whisk until honey is dissolved in the water
- Remove from heat and transfer to the fridge to let cool
- Remove tea bag from mug and transfer tea to the fridge to let cool
- Cut rosemary sprigs in half
- Juice lemons
- Once tea is cooled, strain out any thyme
3. ASSEMBLE DRINK
- To make 4 drinks: In a small pitcher, combine all of thyme-earl grey tea with 1 cup bourbon, 1/2 cup honey-ginger syrup & 1/2 cup lemon juice, then stir vigorously with a spoon
- Pour over ice (rocks glasses recommended), top with a sprig of rosemary, and enjoy!