These baked zucchini fries are the perfect addition to your 4th of July spread! Simply cut zucchini into sticks, toss with breading, and bake. Make a strawberry ketchup on the side that's perfect for dipping, but also doubles as a burger or hot dog spread.
- 2 lb zucchini
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2/3 lb strawberries
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- salt & pepper
1. MAKE ZUCCHINI FRIES
- Heat oven to 425ºF
- Cut zucchini into 4-inch long sticks
- Mix bread crumbs & parmesan in a bowl and season with salt & pepper to taste
- Melt butter
- On a sheet pan, toss zucchini in butter, then toss in breading mixture (leave excess breading mixture on pan to toast for topping), then arrange zucchini in a single layer (use 2 sheet pans if needed)
- Bake for 21–24 min until browned, tossing halfway through
2. MAKE STRAWBERRY KETCHUP
- Remove tops and quarter strawberries
- In a pot, heat 1 Tbsp oil over med
- Add strawberries & diced onion and cook 6–8 min, until softened, smashing strawberries with the back of a spoon
- Reduce heat to med-low on the strawberries, then add diced tomatoes, brown sugar, balsamic, tomato paste, chili powder, allspice, 1/4 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp pepper, and cook another 8–10 min, until slightly thickened
3. SERVE & ENJOY!
- Arrange zucchini fries on a serving platter and top with any remaining bread crumbs from pan
- Enjoy ketchup on the side for dipping
These zucchini fries are the perfect side to this BLT hot dog recipe from Chef Nick Melvin! And while you're celebrating the 4th outside, nothing's more refreshing than this cocktail featuring Golda's hibiscus-orange kombucha.
Prefer burgers instead of hot dogs? Here are a few ideas for your cookout. And if you're itching for another cookout side, this deviled egg recipe will do the trick.
Lastly, the dessert to round out your 4th of July menu: brown sugar roasted peaches. Happy 4th!