To celebrate Father's Day, we're sharing a recipe from the pickle king himself: Chef Nick Melvin!
Nick has been a chef at many well-known Atlanta restaurants–Venkman's, Fox Bros BBQ, Parish, and Empire State South, just to name a few. On top of that, he's a co-founder of Doux South Pickles (thus the pickle king crown), just opened Poco Loco in Kirkwood, writes fantastic G&G meal kit recipes, and is the dad of two boys.
This is Nick with his two kids.
Celebrate Father's Day Nick's style with this easy pickle recipe!
- 4–6 Kirby cucumbers
- 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seed
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, kosher
- 1 clove smashed garlic
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 bay leaf
- Slice cucumbers into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- Bring all remaining ingredients to a boil in a pot and then remove from heat
- Once brine has cooled to be slightly warmer than room temperature, pour over sliced cucumbers in a glass jar with a lid
- Place a double paper towel on top of your cucumbers and brine and slightly push down. This will assist in having your cucumbers submerged while they pickle.
- Place container of new pickles into your fridge and let sit for 12–24 hours. Enjoy!